Manatt’s investigations, compliance and strategic response team has decades of experience counseling industry-leading clients on how best to avoid—and, when necessary, navigate—the turbulent waters of controversy and investigation, whether addressing the Congress of the United States, a prosecutor or a board of directors, as well as how to efficiently and effectively satisfy any government imposed regulator regimes.
Our team consists of a former counsel to the President of the United States; former federal prosecutors, including a former U.S. attorney; former federal and state regulators; a former counsel to the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary and senior advisor to multiple Senate Republicans; federal and state government advocates; and senior partners in Manatt’s Washington, D.C., New York City, Albany, Los Angeles and Sacramento offices.
A multidisciplinary approach
Investigations rarely stand on their own; they frequently involve criminal or civil jeopardy and almost always imply legislative and investigative hearings, regulatory action, or both. We’ve also seen that voluntary cooperation can mean the difference between harsh enforcement and leniency, underscoring the importance of thorough internal investigations. And we have extensive experience working with clients to develop best-in-class compliance programs because we understand the myriad benefits of promoting a corporate culture of good governance.
Our investigations, compliance and strategic response team works seamlessly with our white collar defense litigators to provide world-class legal services at the intersection of Washington law, politics and media. Manatt’s integrated multidisciplinary team offers a distinct combination of skills: first-class legal experience, proven political experience and a deep familiarity with investigations that are often played out from the start in the media. We understand the stakes, and our leadership has lived in the turbulent rapids in which matters of crisis proportion often play out, where media attention, public and political interest, and potential legal jeopardy all must be navigated with exquisite care to achieve a successful resolution.
Get to know our team
Our nationwide team works collaboratively to assemble the right combination of experience for each engagement.
In Washington, our team is led by Jack Quinn. Jack was White House counsel to President Bill Clinton and, prior to that, chief of staff to Vice President Al Gore. In the White House, Jack oversaw the work of scores of attorneys in responding to actual and threatened congressional investigations and managed the executive branch response to several independent counsels. In addition to decades of legal practice in Washington, Jack co-founded, chaired and later sold a successful bipartisan public affairs company and has served as an independent director on a number of boards. He is also a frequent commentator on television on current investigations and serves as a CNN legal analyst.
John Libby leads the firm’s nationally recognized investigations and white collar defense practice from our Los Angeles office. John represents businesses and their officers and directors during criminal investigations and prosecutions, as well as in complex civil litigation. A former federal prosecutor, John guides clients in the healthcare, financial services and high-technology industries through complex disputes with both the government and private parties.
Former U.S. Attorney Rick Hartunian is resident in our New York City and Albany offices and travels frequently to work out of our Washington, D.C., office. Rick served as U.S. attorney in the Northern District of New York from 2010 to 2017. A 20-year veteran of the U.S. Department of Justice, Rick has prosecuted both violent and organized crimes and white collar cases, including tax and fraud crimes.
Gregg Nunziata served as general counsel and a senior domestic policy advisor to Sen. Marco Rubio, including during the senator’s presidential and re-election campaigns. Gregg previously held senior Republican counsel positions on Capitol Hill, where he handled a range of domestic policy issues, and is a former chief nominations counsel to the U.S. Senate Committee on the Judiciary. He counsels businesses—including those involved in high-profile litigation and company-defining transactions—on how they may potentially be affected by shifts in public policy, and guides clients on legislative issues and in response to government inquiries. Gregg is an ongoing presence on Fox News, where he provides analysis on a range of policy and political developments, including investigations.
Other key members of the investigations, compliance and strategic response team include Jacqueline Wolff, a former chief of the Environmental Crimes Unit and assistant U.S. attorney for the Frauds Division in the District of New Jersey; Ron Blum, a former assistant district attorney in New York City and currently legal counsel to the Department of Justice-appointed independent compliance and business ethics monitor of a global investment bank; Andrew Zimmitti, who has two decades of experience representing clients in a wide variety of civil and white collar matters and SEC investigations and proceedings; and Deborah Kelly, a well-known employment litigator experienced in both conducting and guiding clients through the risks associated with internal corporate investigations.
Our clients span the breadth of the economy, and our matters have included engagements in industries such as:
- Aerospace and Defense
- Banking and Financial Services
- Consumer Goods and Services
- Metals and Mining
- Technology and Cybersecurity
In matters involving regulatory oversight, the Manatt investigations, compliance and strategic response team has more than three decades of experience advising leading multinational corporations on appropriate compliance measures and response, including:
- Advising both public and private corporations on successful response to monitorships and other regulatory-imposed compliance regimes (departments of State, Commerce, Justice and the Treasury, and various state attorneys general)
- Representing a foreign financial institution in connection with a Department of Justice offshore tax compliance investigation
- Conducting an internal investigation into allegations of inadequate anti-money laundering compliance at a subsidiary of a major international financial institution
- Defending a multinational energy resources corporation in a formal investigation brought by the SEC concerning alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act involving the corporation’s Central American operations
- Representing a large, national defense contractor in an internal corporate investigation, a DoD inspector general investigation and a False Claims Act lawsuit alleging accounting and bookkeeping fraud
- Defending a large bank’s Bank Secrecy Act compliance officer in formal enforcement proceedings brought by the OCC concerning alleged BSA violations relating to the adequacy of the institution’s anti-money laundering program
- Representing a multinational company in an FCPA investigation involving the President of an African country
- Designing FCPA and global anti-corruption compliance programs for multinational entities and private equity and venture capital firms doing business in, among other countries, Russia, India, the U.K. and China