On October 15, the Trump Administration’s Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published a proposed rule that, if finalized, would require prescription drug makers to include prescription drug price information in broadcast advertising. The Administration stated that it believes including the prices in ads—an idea first introduced in the president’s “Blueprint to Lower Drug Prices” in May—would help consumers make better choices and, ultimately, save money for the Medicare and Medicaid programs.
Would the proposed rule, if enacted, have the impact that the Administration anticipates—or are proponents wrong to believe that transparency is the solution to the drug pricing dilemma? Manatt Health reveals the answer in a new podcast exploring what the proposal is, what it could mean for life sciences companies and their customers, and what effects, if any, it would have on the market. Click here to listen free. Click here to download a free summary of the proposed rule.
The podcast gives you the answers to the critical questions the proposed rule raises:
- Would the new requirement really bring down the cost of drugs—and if so, by how much?
- Will the proposed rule be implemented—and why?
- Why is the drug industry opposed to it?
- Why is the Trump Administration advancing the proposed rule?
- Will Congress become involved—and how might that change if the midterms result in the Democrats taking the House and/or Senate?
- How does this possible federal action relate to recent state efforts to make drug pricing more transparent?
- If the proposal were implemented, would there be companies or products that would be more impacted than others?
If you have any questions or issues you’d like to discuss after hearing the podcast, please reach out to our presenter, Ian Spatz, senior advisor, at 310.312.4339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
P.S. The podcast and regulatory summary are examples of the high-value information you can access on Insights@ManattHealth—a one-stop portal for Manatt’s premium content on breaking industry news and trends; in-depth analyses of state and federal health policy changes; detailed summaries of Medicaid, Medicare and Marketplace regulatory and sub-regulatory guidance; 50-state surveys on critical industry issues; and much more. Your subscription includes access to our premium Life Sciences content, providing cutting-edge insights and analyses on an array of topics critical to the industry, such as:
- The administration’s recent drug pricing proposals,
- The evolving use of value-based and outcomes-based contracting arrangements between life sciences companies and payers, and
- The midterm elections’ potential impact on the industry.
To see the portal in action, contact Insights@Manatt.com to schedule a live demo.